Sport

Unhappy Benitez won't walk away from Newcastle, despite transfer frustration

Unhappy Benitez won't walk away from Newcastle, despite transfer frustration

Benitez yesterday spoke openly at an event to mark the launch of the new Premier League season, which kicks off for Newcastle at home to Tottenham on Sunday.

He said, "I am not happy but at the same time for me it's a challenge".

Newcastle United manager Rafael Benitez has reiterated his frustration at not being able to bolster his squad adequately, claiming he is "not happy" about the club's summer business so far.

"We missed some targets at the beginning, and I think we're paying for that".

Benitez was promised "every last penny" that the club generated through promotion and player sales by Mike Ashley earlier this summer.

"Sometimes it is not about you want, it is about what you need and what you can afford now".

The Gunners boss had previously urged the forward to stay and fight for his place at the club but is now ready to sanction a transfer if Arsenal receive a viable offer from a team outside the Premier League.

There was a rumour of a power struggle at Newcastle regarding player recruitment.

"It's quite hard for every team, but especially the ones that do not have as much money as the others", he said.

"We have a big squad and a lot of competition but I need to work hard and in the moments I am on the pitch, give my best", the Ghana global explained. "We are getting to more difficult matches so I am working hard to be a better player for this team. It is something you cannot control but at the moment I am fully committed to do the best that I can".

While expressing his disappointment at the club's transfer dealings, the Spaniard says he has no desire to walk away from St James' Park.