Worldwide

US Service Members Wounded In 'Insider Attack' In Afghanistan

US Service Members Wounded In 'Insider Attack' In Afghanistan

"At this time we can confirm there are no USA or NATO Resolute Support fatalities".

Seven U.S. service members are reported wounded after an insider attack in northern Afghanistan occurred at 2 p.m. local time on Saturday, according to a statement released by NATO's Resolute Support mission on Twitter.

An investigation has been launched into the incident, he added but did not detail the incident.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack in Achin last week, describing the shooter as an "infiltrator" of the U.S. Army.

Three U.S. soldiers were killed and a fourth wounded on June 11 when an Afghan soldier opened fire on them at a base in eastern Afghanistan's Nangarhar province.

Saturday's attack marks at least the second violent incident this month involving American personnel embedded with Afghan security forces.

Four foreign soldiers were also injured when the Afghan soldier opened fire on foreign troops in Mazar-i Sharif, an Afghan military spokesman told CNN.

"Initial information shows three U.S. soldiers visiting the base were wounded", defence ministry spokesman Mohammad Radmanish told AFP, adding that the attacker had been gunned down. Six U.S. troops have been killed from hostile fire in Afghanistan in 2017.

The incident comes just days after President Trump delegated authority to Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis to set US troop levels in Afghanistan, opening the door for a possible of influx of forces that could number in the thousands. "More information will be provided as it becomes available".

He said the attacker was shot dead.

American military commanders in Afghanistan have requested thousands of additional boots on the ground to boost the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation troop presence in the country.