Local

Serial killer chef will die in prison, says judge

Serial killer chef will die in prison, says judge

Some relatives of the victims cheered and clapped Friday when the sentence was announced in the Old Bailey courthouse.

Police also are under fire for not fingering Port earlier as a killer and possibly saving some victims' lives.

Between June 2011 and October 2015, Port lured his victims using online dating sites, such as Grindr, to invite them to his Barking, east London home where he injected them with drugs or spiked their beverages with fatal amounts of "poppers", Viagra, sleeping pills, crystal meth and/or GHB, the police say.

Commander Stuart Cundy, of the Met Police, said: "The Met is fully co-operating with the IPCC and providing every assistance to ensure there is a thorough and transparent inquiry into the original police investigations into the deaths of these four young men before they were formally linked".

Some of the victims' relatives have accused police of being too slow to link the deaths despite the similarities between them and Scotland Yard has admitted it missed potential opportunities in the investigation.

Port was captured after the first murder, but a string of police blunders meant he was let free to kill three more times and sexually abuse more men.

Last month, jurors listened to the testimony of a 26-year-old man who survived a frightening sexual encounter with Port at his home, according to the BBC.

The 41-year-old chef was found guilty of a total of 22 offences against 11 men including the four murders, four rapes, 10 counts of administering a substance and four sex assaults.

Port then dragged the bodies of his victims out into the street and left them slumped against walls not far from where he lived, police said.

He highlighted Port's attempt to cover up two of his murders with a fake suicide notes as "wicked and monstrous".

He was also convicted on four counts of rape and six counts of administering drugs in relation to another seven men.

GHB was found in the bodies of Walgate, Kovari, Whitworth and Taylor. Then, he served them drinks laced with lethal doses of the drug GHB to rape them while they were unconscious.

PA reports that they plan to sue the police over their handling of the case. Judge Peter Openshaw said Port should die in prison for his "dreadful offenses".

It read: "We was having some fun at a mate's place and I got carried away and gave him another shot of G".

"We have truly fallen apart as a family", they said.

Nik Noone, chief executive of the LGBT anti-violence charity Galop, told Sky News: "Our thoughts are with the friends and families of the young men who tragically lost their lives, the survivors that have come forward and those who are affected by the issues raised in this case".

The Independent Police Complaints Commission is now investigating whether the police missed opportunities to catch Port sooner before he went on to murder other victims who were Gabriel Kovari, 22, from Lewisham, and Daniel Whitworth, 21, from Gravesend, Kent, both of whose bodies were found in a church yard in Barking, and Jack Taylor, 25, from Dagenham.